Company Address: 525 Lytton Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94301 US
About Cowboy Ventures
Cowboy Ventures is a seed-stage focused fund investing in digital startups. We seek to back exceptional founders who are building products that “re-imagine” work and personal life in large and growing markets. We're based in Palo Alto, CA, and invest across the United States.
Cowboy Ventures is a seed-focused venture capital firm dedicated to supporting extraordinary founders
building legendary technology companies. We are headquartered in Palo Alto and are a location flexible
firm with Cowboy Cow-leagues and portfolio companies based across the US.
Position Description: (Note: This is a non-investment position)
We are looking for an experienced strategic operations and finance professional to join our small, mighty,
and growing team! Since our inception in 2012, Cowboy Ventures has invested in over 95+ outstanding
founding teams. We’re in need of a fast-paced individual to be a strategic partner across all things
operations, operations, finance, fund administration, and portfolio company data.
This leader will support strategic planning and development efforts across firm building and planning,
leading key outsourced relationships (finance, legal, tax/audit) to ensure effective, timely execution of
financial reporting, accounting, tax/audit, capital call/distribution, as well as leading quarterly and
annual LP reporting and communications, internal HR/expense/admin processes, and general fund, legal,
and office level management priorities. This candidate will report directly to our Managing Director.
Role responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
● Fund strategy development:
○ Work closely with the partnership in continued fund development and growth
○ Maintain ongoing benchmarks of fund strategies and performance across other leading venture firms
○ Work with the investment team on any fundraising efforts and LP data reporting
● Financial preparation/reporting:
○ Work with our outsourced fund administrator to ensure accurate and timely fund financial reporting (includes any day to day management internally, as well as reviewing prepared reports from outsourced fund administrator), distribution of capital for investments, and distributions to our LPs
○ Preparation of external quarterly and annual reports
○ Ongoing internal analysis of portfolio valuation and metrics as well as reserve planning model
○ Reviewing and improving our quarterly portfolio reporting process
● Process cash transactions for all funds (LP capital calls, LP distributions, partnership capital calls, partnership distributions)
● Management company accounting
● Lead/execute audits
● Respond to audit confirmations for clients and partnerships
● Review all required federal, state, city, and payroll tax returns for accuracy and lead timely year-end tax compliance and filing efforts
● Maintain up to date understanding of all current and emerging financial, insurance, and tax reporting requirements relevant to fund and management company compliance
● Run HR-related processes (i.e. Benefits administration, onboarding, payroll, etc.)
● General office management and support including but not limited to: other contract negotiations such as facilities/lease, periodic review of back-office systems, etc.)
● Assist in keeping updated on any SEC reporting obligations, compliance with Insider Trading policies, Fund ERISA compliance, Insurance policies, Employee Handbook updates, etc.
● Bachelor's degree required. CPA preferred, but not required.
● Excellent financial/excel modeling skills required; familiarity with general accounting principles preferred
● Proven experience working in finance, fundraising, management consulting and/or accounting required. Strong preference for previous fund accounting experience and experience in the venture ecosystem either at venture funds, at an outsource finance firms, or public accounting firms
● High integrity, confidentiality, and accountability
● Someone who excels in a fast-paced environment while being highly meticulous and organized with proficiency and interest in streamlining processes for improved efficiency
● Ability to think analytically and strategically and a self-starter who can work independently while being able to work well within a small team
● Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills with the ability to represent the firm with credibility; strong presentation creation skills required (Powerpoint, Keynote)