- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Legal
- Industry: Enterprise
- Post Date: 01/23/2023
- Website: guildeducation.com
- Company Address: 999 18th Street, Suite 2240, Denver, CO, 80202
- Salary Range: $195,000 - $243,000
About Guild EducationGuild Education is on a mission to unlock opportunity for America’s workforce through education and upskilling, with a double bottom-line business model that does well by doing good.
For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 28 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
- Nurture A Learner’s Mindset - using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and development areas
- Build Shared Success - building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Be an Owner - holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Create Belonging - recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to our company
Guild Education is hiring a Senior Legal Counsel who will be responsible for supporting our academic partnership ecosystem and education marketplace, with a primary focus on overseeing related complex commercial contracting negotiations, risk mitigation strategies, standards, and processes.
We are looking for an individual who thrives in an environment driven by mission, agility, and high-growth who can partner with and support our team in navigating complex legal and regulatory issues. Our ideal candidate is driven by collaboration, problem-solving, and practicality in partnership with all levels and functions at Guild; and brings deep expertise and experience in complex commercial contracting from either a firm or in-house environment.
The Senior Legal Counsel will partner closely with all business teams at Guild (including sales, account management, solutions design, engineering and product development, accounting and finance, and more). This is a senior level position that will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Legal and will be a member of the legal leadership team. Additionally, the Senior Legal Counsel will be instrumental in mentoring and advising other members of the team.
This is an incredible opportunity to join the legal team supporting a core offering for an iconic public benefit corporation with a double-bottom line mission to unlock life-changing opportunities to America’s workforce through education and economic mobility.
- Draft and negotiate complex legal agreements with sophisticated academic partners, universities, colleges, edtech platforms, and other learning providers
- Develop, manage and improve our education marketplace commercial contracting processes, including crafting deal desk parameters, legal terms playbooks and policies, standard form agreements and documents, and risk-management policies
- Collaborate with internal and external clients on contract status, legal risks and considerations related to numerous concurrent negotiations and finalized contracts.
- Foster strong working relationships with internal business clients, as well as external customers, partners, and other third parties and their counsel
- Monitor, research and anticipate legal and regulatory developments or other issues that could impact the company and help resolve legal and other compliance issues.
- Provide legal support in the development and launch of new education benefits products, services and pricing models
- Assist in the development and provision of legal training programs on the contracting and legal processes and standards, company policies, regulatory landscape, and other legal topics
- Assist in our legal department’s continued growth as the company expands, including with hiring, training, and strategic planning of the department
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
Required Proficiencies & Experience:
- In-depth, comprehensive experience structuring, drafting, negotiating, and interpreting complex commercial contracts, preferably with universities or other learning providers
- Working knowledge of commercial and education contracting considerations and regulatory landscape relating to higher education, data privacy, intellectual property, technology or SaaS agreements
- Experience leading a legal counsel teammate in a managerial capacity - willingly participates in the team’s success and demonstrates a vested interest in the development needs of their teammate to enhance performance and overall potential
- A demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage numerous negotiations and projects consistent with the company’s business objectives and requirements, and meet deadlines
- A collaborative, client-focused approach and ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external clients
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing and synthesizing complex matters concisely and clearly convey advise into easy to understand written communications for a wide range of colleagues across the company
- 10+ years of experience in complex, strategic commercial negotiations and contracting
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- License to practice law in Colorado or another state
- Experience partnering with Fortune 500 companies and/or large educational institutions and learning providers or other regulated entities
- Combination of law firm, government, and/or in-house legal experience
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $195,000 - $243,750 as well as company stock options.
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.
At Guild, we unlock the talent and economic potential of America’s workforce for employees and their companies. We partner with the nation’s largest employers—including Walmart, Chipotle, Discover, Hilton, Macy’s, Target, and The Walt Disney Company—to create cultures of opportunity that help them attract and retain top talent, while building the workforce of the future from within. By using our proprietary Career Opportunity Platform to develop education and learning programs that work in the real-world, thousands of employees at those companies have gained the skills, knowledge, and guidance they need to build a brighter future for themselves and their families—all without paying for tuition or career services on their own.
Guild is female-founded and a certified B Corp. The company has been named to the TIME100 Most Influential Companies of 2022 list, CNBC Disruptor50 list three years in a row, Inc. Best Led Companies list, Fast Co. World Changing Ideas list and the B Lab Best for the World list among many others.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- Open vacation policy for employees to rest and recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 12 weeks of parental leave for non-birthing parents and 18-20 weeks for birthing parents; 4-week ramp-up period for when employees return from a leave of 6 weeks or more; as well as employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, fertility and caregiving benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including free and low cost mental health resources and financial wellbeing support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions fcan be requested for medical or religious reasons.